Shared Service Centres (SSCs) were introduced to help business save time, reduce costs, and improve efficiency through standardising office operational processes. Further down the line however, how can SSC’s help businesses remain competitive through adding value and quality to become a Centre of Excellence?
Automation is key
Implementing processes to automate O2C and P2P can further help SSC’s with their goal of time savings and cost reduction, as well as helping the business grow and and achieve digital transformation in an ever-changing landscape.
Some notable technology powering automation solutions include:
- Robotic process automation – programming applications to do basic human tasks
- Process automation – using intelligent technologies to integrate systems across the business
- Machine learning – Artificial Intelligence (AI) using algorithms to learn how the business managers orders, invoices, etc., and handle exceptions
- Deep Learning – A subset of machine learning applied to complex tasks – automatically processing documents even if the solution is seeing them for the first time
According to research, more than 80% of organisations with SSC’s have already implemented RPA technology to automate routine, repetitive, rule-based activities.1
Reap the benefits
The strategic benefits of automating business processes in SSC’s are countless. Here’s a few for starters:
- Better communication – both customer and supplier relationships benefit from a transparent environment. Online portals can be a fantastic tool to give convenient self-service access to documents, payments, orders etc.
- Enhanced visibility – Give executive management a quick and easy route to analyse the company data. The right solution can provide metrics on day-to-day and long term performance, to monitor SSC progress and identify areas of improvement
- Employee satisfaction – a happy employee is a productive employee. By implementing a solution that saves time on manual tasks, staff are freed up to do more on creative and value-add activities.
It doesn’t stop there
Esker’s eBook, 9 Ways AI & RPA Can Transform Your Shared Services Centre, has an extended list of benefits that can turn your SSC into a Centre of Excellence through automation. Or watch our video for a bite-sized snapshot.
If you’d like to know more about how Esker can help your business, get in touch, we’d love to hear from you!
1 5 Characteristics of the Best Shared Services Centers; February 2019; Sharon George for Gartner https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/five-characteristics-of-the-best-shared-service-centers/